a while back i started doing a linky list called friday favorites. i did it once. here’s to a resurrection!
some of my favorite things i’ve seen online in the past week(ish):
- me as a stone: kim’s piece on why she’s keeping up her blog, how she’s owning her space in the stream, and what her goals are with writing online struck a huge chord with me. i’m fairly positive they will with you as well.
- xosarah’s new ebook: as i’ve ramped up my freelance game, i’ve started reading xosarah (formerly known as sillygrrl). i bought her brand new ebook this week on doubling your blog traffic and really enjoyed it – it’s part of what sparked me to get a little more serious about this space and put some interesting thoughts into my brain about merging all of my (*cringe*) “brands”.
- what’s real, from sarah rosemary: i love sarah’s blog, specifically how honest she is about life and motherhood and marriage (even though the latter two categories don’t apply at all to me). it’s exactly what i believe online writing should be about. she’s got a pretty awesome focus this year on being real, and i adore it.
- ask polly, from the awl: this particular edition of this advice column deals with a girlfriend being obsessed with the blog of her boyfriend’s ex and it’s pretty hysterical. i mean, not that any of us know anything about internet obsession…
- how to run a weekly social health check, from simply measured: this speaks more to my professional life – it’s a great account of social analytics you can check on a weekly basis to see how your channels are doing.
tell me what you’ve been digging around ye grande olde internet (i.e., help me make this friday go by a little faster.)
i’ve been toying with the idea of doing a link list on fridays around these parts – half to remind me to post and get me in the habit, and half to share the things i love/awesome things i read around the internet. so, let’s try it out.
- i’ve been in complete home decorating mode lately (i have no idea why, it’s a thing that comes and goes) and totally into joss and main. i’m told it’s similar to one king’s lane – daily deals for a variety of furniture and decor-y things, and all i know is that if i bought everything there that i want to, i could totally put my house on pinterest.
- i’m pretty into financial responsibility (and i owe you all a post on saving for goals, i know), and i was relieved that this article on credit sesame delved into the issue of building savings while paying off debt. that’s what i’m doing now, because i’m uncomfortable having no emergency fund.
- relatedly, i LOVE creditkarma as a resource for monitoring your credit and seeking advice on how to make it better. after it calculates an approximation of your score for you, it will tell you the best cards you have a chance of getting, and there’s a neat calculator thing where you put in specific scenarios (i.e., get more cards, or, pay off all your debt, or, get a car loan) and it will tell you the likely effect in your score.
- i loved this post from life after college on making it up as you go along. because yes. that is what we are all doing. my life looks nothing like i may have envisioned it five or even three years ago, but i’m happy. and five years from now, it won’t look like anything i could plan today, i bet. this is tough for me because planning makes my heart go pitter patter, but. life has its ways.
- one billion year old water does not taste good. the more you know.
i hope you have a lovely weekend. i’m playing magic the gathering and cards against humanity with friends, and popping out to a birthday party on saturday night.